Thursday 1 January 2015

Sous Vide Chicken Stock

Ingredients 
450g Chicken Necks
2 cloves Garlic

I scalded the chicken necks with hot water, then divided them as follows:

1.5l Jar: 
240g chicken necks
1 clove garlic
1180g water -- tap

1l Jar: 
200g chicken necks
1 clove garlic
560g water -- tap

Sous vide at 80C for 4 hours.

I also have 3 carcasses and a clove of garlic in a giant pot of water on my new induction cooker for comparison's sake. The temperature in the pot also hovers around 80C.

(I planned for them to go into the machine too, however, my jars are not wide-necked enough.)

Tasting Notes: 
Not very different, except for the 1.5l jar tasting thinner, and my induction cooker does keep the temp hovering around 80C as well.
The advantage of using induction is that it lets me skim the scum off, though if you simmer at low temperatures, there isn't very much of it.
Overall, I might do this again if I am unable to use the induction cooker for some reason, but for the amounts that I normally make soup in, the sous vide machine isn't very practical.
If I wanted a jar of stock, and I was already using the sous vide machine for congee or something else, I can see that it would be convenient to also just put the jar the machine.

Other Notes: 
Tomorrow, I will publish my tasting notes for sous vide congee based on the jarred stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment