Saturday 27 December 2014

Sous Vide Chicken Porridge

Ingredients: 
75g rice
600g chicken stock -- it should be thick enough to gel solid when cold
2g salt
2 spring onion stalks -- the white bit minus the roots plus a bit of the green part
small knob of ginger
sesame oil -- about a teaspoon or so
soya sauce -- just a few drops

Put all of the ingredients into a 500ml mason jar and sous vide for 4 hours at 65C, then another 8 hours at 75C.

Notes:
The stock was cold when it went in.
This is under salted, but you're meant to serve this with soy sauce and white pepper at the table anyway.

Tasting Notes:
The rice to stock ratio needs to go up, unless you are after a more Teochew style gruel. I will try 100g rice to 600g stock the next time.
Temperature needs to increase as well. When I checked it at 4 hours at 65C, the rice was still solid little grains. I will try 75C or 80C the next time for 8 hours.
(The only recipe I found online for Sous Vide congee suggested 90C for 1.5 hours, but I am aiming for an overnight recipe, at least until I get a sous vide machine with a timer.)
If you want to serve it piping hot, you will need to bring it to boil on a stove top.
I might reduce the salt the next time -- it was salty enough to not need extra flavorings.

No comments:

Post a Comment