Tuesday 30 December 2014

Christmas Apples + Apple Syrup

Ingredient: 
350g cubed apples -- I used Pink Lady
Salt -- 3 fingered pinch
1/2 cinnamon stick
6 cloves
1 whole nutmeg
330ml apple cider -- 1 bottle
1/4 tsp vanilla powder
50g water
50g sugar - raw

Put everything into a 500ml mason jar. If the liquid does not cover the apples, add a bit more water.

Sous vide at 65C for 2 hours. Strain out the liquid and store separately.

Tasting Notes: 
The apples are still fairly firm. Would actually be ideal for apple pie, in my opinion, with a bit more sugar.
I plan to try this with apple molasses when I find it.
Pink Lady apples are on the sweeter side, so if you use something more tart (I do not recommend this because I think it would not taste good), add more sugar.
Might benefit from a hit of ginger if I wasn't using it for Fairytale of New York.

Other comments: 
I made the syrup for: Fairytale of New York
I was going to toss the apples, but the texture is still pretty good, hence I am munching on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment