Friday 3 July 2015

Cider and Caramelized Balsamic Vinegar Pickled Ginger

Ingredients: 
255g thinly sliced young ginger
60g boiled cider
60g sugar 
120g water 
120g caramelized balsamic vinegar 
Umeshu -- optional 

Put everything but the ginger into a pot and bring to a simmer. Turn off when the sugar is completely dissolved, and let cool slightly.

Prepare the container(s) you will use to store the ginger by rinsing out with the umeshu. Rinse off the covers too.

Divide the ginger into the container(s).

Divide the vinegar liquid into the container(s). 

Seal, and store in fridge. 

Notes: 
The pickled ginger will be more tender and less sharp if you use young ginger. 

The boiled cider is just something I bought in New York. It is simply apple juice reduced to a syrup. You can substitute water, and perhaps some sugar if you like it sweet. 

I used my Weck jars -- straight sides, with a volume of 370ml. I split the ginger up because I could not fit it all into one, but there is no reason why you could not just dump it all into one container. 

I think this batch will be too sweet to be eaten with sushi, but that was never my intention anyway. 

The umeshu rinse is not necessary at all. I just could not find the sterilising liquid in the house, and since I will be storing it in the fridge for just a few days, I think it does not matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment