Friday 24 April 2015

Momofuku Ssam Bar, New York, USA

We randomly walked in and got a table.

I was trying to go to Booker & Dax, but accidentally made a reservation for the wrong the day. We wandered into Ssam Bar first, though, and they just happened to have some seats for three! Matthias's awesome luck as always.

Seven Spice Sour - Sake, Yuzu, Lime, Shichimi 
I think this was possibly my favorite cocktail through my stay in New York. The shichimi was sneaky, and I did not realise for some time that the kick was setting in. But the balance of yuzu and shichimi was exceptionally on point.

Green Pal - Japanese Whiskey, Manzanilla Sherry, Dry Vermouth, Shiso 
Matthias's cocktail. Pretty good, but on the sweeter side still for him, even though I asked for less vermouth.

Spicy Shrimp Roll - Daikon, Green Mango, Peanut
I do not actually remember this one being spicy, but it was a pretty good take on a Vietnamese rice roll. The sauce was pretty good.

Diver Scallop - Ham Dashi, Radish, Thai Basil 
The dashi was jelled, and it covered the entire dish. Nice texture, but it and the radish kinda overwhelmed the scallops.

Pig Ear Ssam 
Not on the menu any more, it seems. But it was delicious -- Matthias ate half of it. The pig ears were fried, and they came already pre-made into ssam.

Grilled Flat Iron Steak - Ramp, Parsnip, Nettle 
Matthias ordered this because steak and nettle. It came with what looked and tasted like tendon puffs to me (is this a trend? I have had this in a few other places recently too). He overwhelmingly approved of this dish.

Passion Fruit Pie - Coffee, Cilantro
Surprisingly delicious. I ordered just to try, since we were there, and was not particularly keen on either offering. But the pairing of passion fruit and what tasted like a coffee crumb or coffee cookie works deliciously well. The cilantro was rather lost, however.

Overall
Pretty good. I think Matthias liked the food more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment